Friday 8 June 2012

Planetary imaging astrophotography camera test

I finally got the chance to test my DIY camera today. It's still cloudy, but I couldn't wait any longer and decided to see if I could get it to focus on anything. I needed a distant target, so I chose some trees about 50m outside my window. I filmed from inside as the wind would have ripped the scope off the mount, on top of adding vibration to my capture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHPJ_dkm78Q&feature=plcp

I used Registax to capture a 30 second clip at 30fps, using the default settings chosen by the program when the camera was plugged in. (I think 320x240 res, with white balance and exposure on auto and everything else at either 0 or whatever it is on program startup).
I had the whole thing set up, focussed and uploaded to youtube within about 5 minutes, but for a first attempt I'm extremely happy with my results.

I have since got the camera to work at 640x480 at 30fps with no loss in picture quality or "screen lag", and have played with the hue, saturation, contrast and white balance to achieve an accurate full colour image.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSiP0J_JhjQ

Roll on clear skies!

Ginger


No comments:

Post a Comment